Fall is upon us! The cooler temperatures bring us some amazing fruits which we love to use in recipes. Regina baked us this amazing Apple Cinnamon Pie with our Silvestre Honey. Try this recipe in the coming weeks while apples are juicy and let us know what you think!
Ingredients for the pie crust:
- 2 ½ cup of organic flour
- 2 tbsp of organic brown sugar
- ⅛ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup + 1/4 of unsalted butter, cold
- 5 tbsp of organic milk
- 4 tbsp of cold water
For the apple filling:
- 5 lbs or 2.5 large organic apples
- 1 tbsp of cinnamon
- 2 tbsp of Brazilian Iguaçu River Wildflower - Silvestre (Buy it on Amazon)
- Zest from one lime
- Juice from half of the lime
- Egg yolk (always free range) + 1 tbsp of milk for egg wash, turbinado sugar
- In a large bowl mix together flour, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and stir in the flour, until you’ll get the pea-sized crumble mixture.
- Add the milk and cold water, one tablespoon at a time, knead the dough until the texture is silky and smooth.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least for one hour or overnight which is better.
- Pull the dough out from the fridge 30 minutes before starting work with it. Grease the pan with butter and sprinkle some turbinado sugar (optional).
- Slice the apples, mix with cinnamon, honey, zest and juice from the lime. Set aside.
- On a floured working surface roll the half of the dough out and place into the prepared baking pan. Lay out the prepared apples. Roll another half of the dough and decorate the top of the pie the way you like. Brush with egg yolk, sprinkle additional turbinado sugar and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 45 minutes or until the color is golden-brown.
- Let it cool completely before serving.