This is the perfect weekend recipe for you. Honey Cinnamon Rolls on a crisp weekend morning! Baking these will warm up your house and they are especially delicious when paired with a hot cup of coffee.
Recipe developed by Regina!
Servings: 12 buns
1 ¼ cup all purpose flour
¼ + ¾ cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp active dry yeast
¾ cup water
1 large egg
2.5 tbsp butter (room temperature)
For the filling:
2 tbsp of melted butter
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp brown sugar
Zest from one orange
- In a small bowl combine 1 tsp of honey with active dry yeast and water, whisk it and leave for 5-7 minutes until the yeast foam will appear on top of the water.
- In a stand mixer with the hook attachment mix together flour, egg and butter. Stir in the yeast mixture and knead the dough for about 7 minutes (if using hands, about 10-12 minutes) until silky and smooth.
- Transfer the dough into the bowl, cover with plastic wrap, clean towel and leave in a warm place for one or one and a half hour until doubled in size. Knead the dough a little a bit and leave covered for another hour until doubled again.
- Prepare the filling for the buns. Mix all the ingredients together until smooth.
- On a floured working surface knead the dough out in a wide rectangle. Spread the cinnamon filling all over the dough, leaving a little bit edges uncovered. Wrap the dough into the roll and cut it into 12 pieces. Put the buns into the prepared baking sheet covered with parchment paper leaving some space between them, about 2-3 inches. Cover them with plastic wrap and leave it for another 45-50 minutes until they raise.
Preheat the oven at 350F, brush the buns with egg yolk and bake for 15-20 minutes until golden-brown. Glaze with honey while they are still hot. Enjoy!