Cinnamon buns are an effortless yet delicious way to start your day. As great as they are alongside a nice cup of coffee, this is the perfect recipe for any occasion, and making them ahead of time can save you a lot of time and money. Warm, sweet, and glazed with honey, this cinnamon bun recipe is a treat you’ll want to try out.
Health Benefits of Honey and Cinnamon
Honey is a fantastic source of antioxidants and will help protect against cell damage. These antioxidants also have the potential to reduce blood pressure and prevent heart disease. Honey is also rich in iron and many other vitamins and is a great low-calorie alternative to sugar.
Like honey, cinnamon is also loaded with tons of great antioxidants. It aids in insulin secretion to help control sugar levels and has properties that can fight against bacterial and fungal infections.Cinnamon is a rich source of iron, potassium, vitamins A, B, and K.
Servings: 12 buns
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ + ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp + 2 tbsp for glazing of Brazilian Acacia Honey - Angico (Buy it on Amazon)
- ¾ cup of water
- 1 large egg
- 2.5 tbsp butter (room temperature)
For the filling:
- 2 tbsp of melted butter
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- Zest from one orange
1. In a bowl, mix honey, active dry yeast, and water. Leave this to sit for a few minutes until the yeast starts to foam.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, egg, and butter. Add this to your yeast mixture to form the dough and combine until smooth in texture.
3. Cover your bowl of dough with plastic wrap and leave it to rest for an hour. The dough should roughly double in size.
4. For your filling, mix the melted butter, cinnamon, brown sugar, and orange zest until creamy and even.
5. Spread the dough on a flat surface and add your fillings before wrapping and cutting into different pieces. Place your buns onto a baking sheet and leave them covered to rest again for another 45 minutes.
6. Brush the buns with egg wash and bake at 350° F for 15 to 20 minutes. Glaze, you’re your choice of honey while still hot.