Who doesn’t love ice cream? With so many different flavors and topping combinations, it’s hard to believe that there isn’t a flavor out there for everyone. Whether you’re a traditionalist or you prefer dairy alternatives, ice cream is one of the most universally loved desserts and is here to stay!
This Honey Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich recipe is worth spending your cheat day on. With notes of chocolate, hazelnuts, and our luxurious Marmeleiro honey, this ice cream cookie sandwich will make anyone’s day. Although you can use store-bought vanilla ice cream and cookies before glazing it with honey, we highly recommend making it from scratch for the best results!
Whether you’re snacking or enjoying dessert, this is one that you’re not going to want to miss.
Servings: 1 qt of ice cream, 12 chocolate cookies
Prep time: overnight
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for the ice cream:
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup of Brazilian Quince - Marmeleiro (Buy it on Amazon)
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup of whole milk
- ¾ cup of heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup of ricotta cheese
- A handful of peeled and chopped hazelnuts
- A handful of chopped white chocolate
For the chocolate cookies:
- 1 cup of flour
- ½ cup of cacao powder
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- ¼ tsp of cardamom
- ½ cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp of melted butter
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and honey until pale.
- Combine whole milk and ricotta in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, let it slightly simmer on medium heat until small bubbles come out. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk the hot mixture into the egg yolks, add vanilla extract, and return to the stove.
- Cook on a medium-low for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture covers the back of the spoon. Remove from heat, stir in the heavy cream, cover with plastic wrap, so it touches the ice cream mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
- Make the ice cream following the instructions of the ice cream maker. During the final 5 minutes, add in the chopped nuts and chocolate. Freeze the ice cream.
- Preheat oven at 350F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the eggs with brown sugar and butter until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cacao powder, baking soda, cardamom.
Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Using ice cream scooper make balls, put them onto parchment paper, and bake for 12-15 minutes until cooked. Cooldown and serve with the ice cream as a sandwich.