Hi guys! SUMMER is in full swing over here in Arizona!! Oh my goodness is it hot!!!
We're living off ice cream, jk but sometimes we wish we could. While in Germany this past June, on our Harvest002 sourcing trip we ate a lot of Gelato! At least one scoop per day for 3 weeks. It's hard to resist when a scoot only costs around 1euro and the sun is shining. This year we got really lucky with the weather, which resulted in a couple of extra pounds I was bringing back to the States. I'm okay with that, some things are worth it! Another wonderful thing about ice cream in Germany is that in many towns we've lived (such as Munich and Berlin), there are a lot of artesian ice cream makers who are making the wide range of flavors from scratch! Not to mention quite a few of them are using honey! Enough about that, let's get back to business and back to this Honey Ice Cream Cookie Sandwich Recipe! Regina used Marmeliero for this one. =)
Servings: 1 qt of ice cream, 12 chocolate cookies
Prep time: overnight
Cook time: 20 minutes
Ingredients for the ice cream:
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup of Brazilian Acacia - Angico (Buy it on Amazon)
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cup of whole milk
- ¾ cup of heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup of ricotta cheese
- A handful of peeled and chopped hazelnuts
- A handful of chopped white chocolate
For the chocolate cookies:
- 1 cup of flour
- ½ cup of cacao powder
- ½ tsp of baking soda
- ¼ tsp of cardamom
- ½ cup of dark brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 5 tbsp of melted butter
- In a medium-size bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and honey until pale.
- Combine whole milk and ricotta in a heavy-bottomed saucepan, let it slightly simmer on medium heat until small bubbles come out. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk the hot mixture into the egg yolks, add vanilla extract and return to the stove.
- Cook on a medium-low for about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture covers the back of the spoon. Remove from heat, stir in the heavy cream, cover with plastic wrap, so it touches the ice cream mixture. Refrigerate overnight.
- Make the ice cream following the instructions of the ice cream maker. During the final 5 minutes, add in the chopped nuts and chocolate. Freeze the ice cream.
- Preheat oven at 350F. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk the eggs with brown sugar and butter until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, cacao powder, baking soda, cardamom.
Stir dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Using ice cream scooper make balls, put them onto parchment paper and bake for 12-15 minutes until cooked. Cooldown and serve with the ice cream as a sandwich.