During the summertime, we are all about salads at our house and we usually incorporate honey is some sort of way! We came up with this delicious salad, I just love the idea of candied honey chickpeas!
Serves: 2 portions
- 3-4 oz of baby spinach
- 10-12 each of cherries, halved and pitted
- 2 tbsp of Chavrie cheese
- 15.5 oz canned chickpeas, remove from water and dry out with a paper towel
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp Brazilian Acacia - Angico (Buy it on Amazon)
- About 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
- A pinch of cardamom
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil
1. Turn kitchen fan on high as vinegar is going to be floating into the air! Pure the vinegar into a medium saucepan, bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and then turn down the heat to keep at a low simmer. It will take about 10-15 minutes to thicken and reduce. As soon as vinegar covers the opposite of the spoon, it’s done. Keep an eye on it and don’t overcook it.
2. Prepare the chickpeas. Preheat the oven at 350F, line up the sheet pan with parchment paper. Whisk the egg whites until nice soft peaks, stir in honey and chickpeas. Season with cayenne pepper, cardamom, salt, and pepper. Roast them for about 5-7 minutes or until nicely golden-brown color. Stir them with a rubber spatula after 4-5 minutes. Cool them down completely.
3. Season spinach with and pepper. In a large serving plate or bowl place spinach, top with cherries, Chavrie goat cheese, candied chickpeas and drizzle with olive oil and balsamic reduction.
Remember: always use sustainably sourced honey!