Thomas and I really love sushi, most of the time I opt for veggie sushi tho! Tom's always teasing me about it saying I can't call it sushi when it's not fish. Once in while we eat the real deal, usually when we're near an ocean or we're in a city where sushi is very renowned. Thomas's hometown, Curitiba is about 2 hours from the Atlantic Ocean and has a fair amount of Japanese living there and the sushi culture is quite strong. Of course, the sushi restaurants in Brazil, even though they are run mostly by Japanese, have put a Brazilian twist on things. Pretty much in every sushi joint in Brazil you will find dessert sushi (aka "doce")! Yes, you heard that right. I bet you're thinking what in the world is that...? Well, just as they do with their Pizzerias, sushi restaurants in Brazil will offer a selection of dessert-themed options. The most popular one is Goiobada sushi (Guava sushi).
Okay back to the recipe! We're excited for you to try this delicious Wasabi Soy & Honey Dipping Sauce! It's super easy to make and adds a nice touch. Regina used our Aroeira honey for this one.
Serving: 4 sushi roll portions
Cooking time: 1.5 hours
- 1 ½ cup of sushi rice
- About ¼ cup of seasoned rice vinegar
- 1 oz of ahi tuna, thinly sliced
- 1 oz of raw salmon, thinly sliced
- 1 small cucumber
- 1 small avocado
- 4 tbsp of cream cheese
- 2 sheets of nori
For the honey wasabi soy sauce:
- ½ cup of soy sauce
- 1 tsp of wasabi powder
- 2 tsp of Brazilian Pink Pepper - Aroeira (Buy it on Amazon)
Optional: sesame seeds, ginger
- Cook the sushi rice with a ratio of water (1:1) on low heat, for about 20 minutes. Season cooked rice with rice vinegar, taste it all the time, you might need less or more vinegar.
- If you want to make a roll with rice out, cut the nori in half, spread the sushi rice, flip the nori and place sliced cucumber, avocado, and cream cheese in the middle. Make a roll and put the slices of salmon on top of the sushi roll. Cut in 8 pieces. Optional sprinkle sesame seeds on top of the rolls
- When you are making the roll with the rice inside, you the whole nori sheet, spread the rice, put the cucumber, avocado and tuna slices from one side and make a roll. You will get 10 pieces.
- In a small bowl combine soy sauce, honey, and wasabi. Serve with sushi rolls.