This is a classic Italian! Fluffy potato dumplings make for a hearty meal no matter how you serve them. Now, homemade Gnocchi is a luxury. And this is the ultimate fall pasta. Comfort food at its best.
Their light, airy texture, and full potato flavor make them a unique pasta, and Regina elevated it by using sweet potatoes, sage, and honey!
Portions: up to 60 gnocchi
1 large sweet potato, about 1 lb
- 1 ¾ to 2 cups of flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp of sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 5-6 leaves of sage (for serving)
- 4 tbsp of butter
- 1 tbsp of Brazilian Iguaçu River Wildflower - Silvestre (Buy it on Amazon)
- Grana Padano (for serving)
Preheat the oven at 350F. Make the small cuts in a potato, drizzle with olive oil, wrap into the foil and bake for 50 minutes or until cooked. Cool down, peel, and mash the potato.
- In a large bowl combine mashed potato with flour, egg, salt, and pepper. Knead the mixture until you’ll get a dough. Add more flour if needed. The dough should be soft.
- Cut a small amount of dough, about ⅓ from the circle (you will have about 25 gnocchi). Wrap the rest of the dough and freeze it if you not going to use it. You can keep in a freezer for up to 2 months. Cut the dough in half again.
- Roll and stretch each half of the dough on a floured surface until it forms a long, skinny rope-like shape. Cut the rope into 1-inch segments and using the gnocchi board make a nice striped shape or you basically can leave as is. It looks like a small pillow.
- I large pot bring the water to a boil, add some sea salt and cook the gnocchi for about 7-10 minutes or until they cooked inside.
- In a medium pan, melt the butter on low heat for about 10 minutes, until it will become brown with a nutty flavor.
- Remove the gnocchi from the water and fry in a prepared brown butter on medium-high heat, stir in honey and fry them from one side until slightly browned. Remove them from the pan and add in the sage leaves. Fry them for another 1 minute or until crispy.
- Serve gnocchi with honey brown butter, sage, and Grana Padano cheese.