Have you ever tried marshmallows made with HONEY?! =) For these homemade marshmallows, Regina used our delicious Angico honey. This time of year, we love topping our Hot Chocolate with marshmallows and also making homemade rice crispy treats with them! :-) Try this festive recipe and let us know what you think! Oh, and leave us a comment below letting us know how you like to use marshmallows?
Servings: 8x8 square baking pan
Cooking time: 30 minutes + 4-6 hours for resting
- 1 cup of filtered water, divided in half
- ½ cup of Brazilian Acacia - Angico (Buy it on Amazon)
- 2 ½ tbsp of powdered (high-quality) gelatin
- Pinch of salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Butter for greasing the baking tin
- Prepare square baking tin first. Grease the bottom of the pan with a small amount of butter. Line up the parchment paper, leaving the edges outside, so it will be easy to remove marshmallow later. Sprinkle a good amount of powdered sugar and set aside.
- Place one half of water and gelatin in the mixer bowl, lightly stir and let sit for 5-6 minutes.
- In a medium pot on a medium-high heat combine another half of water, honey and a pinch of salt. Bring the mixture to the boil and continue to cook the syrup until it reaches 240F-242F, check the temperature with a candy thermometer. It may take up to 15-20 minutes.
- While you making the syrup, be very careful, because it’s extremely hot. Don’t stir in during the cooking. Just leave it until temperature reaches 240F at least.
- When the syrup is ready, start whisking the gelatin and carefully thinly pure the syrup into the gelatin. Try not to touch the mixer whisk or sides!
- Increase speed on medium and when all syrup has added, increase on high and beat the mixture until it will double in size and will have soft peaks, like beaten egg whites. It will take for about 5 minutes and the mixture will be yellow for the first couple minutes but just wait and you’ll see.
- As soon as the marshmallow mixture is done, very quickly spread it over the baking tin. Sprinkle another amount of powdered sugar on top and let it sit for at least 4-6 hours, or leave it overnight.
- Cut the marshmallow into squares and drizzle with extra honey. Enjoy!