These are soooo cute! =) In the fall and wintertime, apples and pears are a go-to for recipes. Baked good with these fruits are super delicious! Regina made this recipe using our Aroeira honey! We hope you enjoy :-)
Ingredients for dough:
- 1 ½ cup of flour
- 2 tbsp of raw sugar
- 6 tbsp of unsalted butter, cold
- ¼ tsp of cardamom
- 4-5 tbsp of cold water
For the filling:
- 3 pears
- ⅛ cup of whiskey
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 tbsp of butter
- ¼ tsp of cardamom
- ½ tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp of Brazilian Pink Pepper - Aroeira (Buy it on Amazon)
- Raw sugar for sprinkling, egg yolk + 1 tbsp of milk for greasing the pies
- In a food processor pulse flour, raw sugar and cardamom for 4-5 times, until combined.
- Cut the butter into small cubes and add in the flour mixture. Pulse for another 2 or 3 times until the mixture will have pea size crumble. Stir in the water, 1 tbsp at a time and combine all the ingredients until it comes together. Use water carefully. If you add too much water it will be too wet if using less, the dough will be dry.
- Make a ball, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Pull it out from the fridge 30 minutes before using it.
- Peel the pears and cut into medium cubes. On a medium high heat melt, the butter put the sprig of rosemary and leave for 30 seconds. Stir in pears, increase the heat on high and cook for 2 minutes. Add in the whiskey and deglaze the pears, stirring occasionally. After 5 minutes remove the rosemary, stir in the cardamom, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and honey. Cook for another 2-3 minutes on high heat, then down to medium. Add the water and cook for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cool down the pears.
- Roll the dough out a little bit, using a round cookie cutter, make the circles.
- Preheat the oven at 350 F. Line up the baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Put the per filling into a circle and cover another one. Pinch the sides very tightly and using fork make it again. Create a small cut in the middle of each pie.
- Brush the pies with egg yolk and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
Basic yeast dough for 2 recipes
- 5 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ of whole milk, lukewarm
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tbsp of active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 8 tbsp of unsalted butter, room temperature
- Mix active dry yeast, sugar, and milk in a bowl or cup and set aside for 5-7 minutes, until the foam comes out.
- In a mixer combine milk, flour, 4 eggs, and butter. Knead the dough using the hook attachment for about 7-10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and doesn’t stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Shape the dough into the ball and place it into a bowl, cover with a clean tea towel and leave in a warm place for 1.5-2 hours or until it doubles in size. Knead the dough with your hands and leave for another hour or refrigerate the dough overnight.